Clear up acne scars by putting these home remedies to the test
If you’re struggling with acne, don’t worry, it’s a common from for people of all ages, though more so for teens and women going through the menopause.
Acne happens when you’ve got a hormonal imbalance in the body. Any changes in your hormones cause glands to produce more oil than usual, which then causes your skin pores to get clogged up, allowing bacteria to grow.
So you know why it happens, but we all know it doesn’t end there. If you’ve tried to take things into your own hands and got impatient you’ll know that acne leaves scars occur after a breakout. They won’t go away easily, and cause damage to your skin. They’re usually red or brown with uneven, trenched texture to them.
There’s no set time as to how long they last, though it’s often weeks to months , but it’s best to steer clear or harsh chemical treatments. There’s plenty of home remedies you can try and prevention measures you can take to speed things up. Ultimately you need to be patient.
Here are some natural remedies as well as products (scroll down) you can try.
1. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is anti-inflammatory and has antibacterial properties so is a great tool in your acne scar treatment arsenal.
What to do:
- You’ll need the actual aloe vera leaf – scoop out the gel after you cut it open.
- Apply the gel to the scars and massage it in.
- Leave it for 30 minutes. Rinse it off.
- Repeat 2 or 3 times daily.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel and 2 or 3 drops of tea tree essential oil.
- Apply it to the scar.
- Rinse it off with cold water after 10 to 15 minutes.
- Use once daily.
Lemon works as a natural bleach and helps lighten any kind of scars on your skin.
It removes dead skin cells, promotes new skin cell growth and improves skin elasticity.
What to do:
- Apply fresh lemon juice directly on to the scars using your fingertips or a cotton bud.
- Leave it for 10 minutes, then rinse it off with water.
- Repeat 1 or 2 times a day.
- Mix equal amounts of lemon juice and honey.
- Use a cotton ball to apply to the scars.
- Leave it for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Wash it off with water and pat dry.
- Repeat once a day.
- Mix 1 teaspoon lemon juice with 1 teaspoon of vitamin E oil.
- Apply to your acne scars before going to bed.
- Wash it off the next morning.
- Repeat daily.
3. Coconut Oil
This is a rich source of vitamin E and fatty acids.
- Rub coconut oil into the skin
- Apply warm coconut oil to the scars
- Massage onto scars for 5 to 10 minutes
- Leave for an hour
- Rinse with warm water
- Mix lavender oil with 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Apple to area and massage in for a few minutes
- Leave for 20-30 minutes
- Rinse it off with warm water
- Repeat once or twice daily for several weeks.